Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Varsity

So, from what I've gathered from my time spent in the UK thus far, there are no real college teams, but rather everything is a club and is run through the student unions. That being said, today was pretty much the equivalent of homecoming here in Cardiff. There were multiple events with varsity games going on all day against Swansea, culminating in the men's rugby match held at Millennium Stadium in the evening (which is like the stadium of Cardiff - it was passable as far as stadiums go). I actually went and it turned out to be an interesting match. Apart from the rugby, there was a streaker, a flasher, and some guys who decided to throw their beer on everyone around them. Let me just say that security was prepared for that streaker, tackling him like a rugby player. Anyways, Cardiff was reminiscent of the Nats, what with having the lead in the beginning and then just losing 13-21. It was disappointing, but I'm happy to say that I was able to understand what was happening in the game. Thank you one semester of rugby at W&M! It was really fun to watch and I recommend going to see a rugby match if you ever find yourself in the UK. Oh, I made oatmeal raisin cookies at some point since my return from Italy (as a tangent from sports). The raisins I used, flame raisins, really expanded in the oven. 'Twas quite strange, but they were delicious. In all, things are mellowing out here now, what with exams coming up. Time really has flown.

No comments: