Saturday, March 16, 2013

Weird Weather

You know, it's like the weather here is against me or something. After spending the majority of the past two weeks cooped up ironically researching sedentary lifestyles in Prehistoric Britain among other things, I decided it would be good for me to get some fresh air, get away from the computer that I have been glued to for the past two weeks researching vikings, Merlin, and sedentism, and perhaps venture outdoors. Maybe a bit of physical activity, like a run or something. So I lace up my shoes and head out the door into the partially sunny courtyard and I start running. But then it gets really dark, really fast, and it starts raining. No matter, I think to myself, I like running in the rain. I'm pretty sure the
Welsh weather gods heard my thoughts or something because the next thing I knew, the rain had turned into sleet! Ice pellets raining from the skies! You know, ice hurts! This is why I decided to hightail it back to my flat after only ten minutes of running, sweatshirt drenched and ice in my hair. As I'm looking out my window now, it's sunny again... Yep, the sun is most definitely glinting on the rain puddles outside my window. Ridiculous.

Anyways, not much has happened these past weeks because like I said, I have four papers and a presentation to finish before spring break. I don't understand why all of these deadlines are at the same time. People need to learn to coordinate properly. Earlier this week, on Wednesday, I ventured out to St. Fagan's as part of a field trip for my Welsh Culture and Folklore class. St. Fagan's is an open-air museum with houses from different ages. I suppose it's a nice place, but in all honesty it wasn't that inviting. It wasn't really engaging and it was difficult to tell whether or not you could enter some of the
buildings. Nope, not the most inviting place. The one good thing was the sheep and the baby sheep (lambs) roaming around in a pasture. Totes adorbs. It also started sleeting at St. Fagan's as well, but luckily I had chosen to have tea in this tea shop, which I would rate a three out of ten. I may seem harsh, but the tea was bland, the scone was stale, and overall, St. Fagan's, though the concept is interesting, was boring. I think they need re-enactments so they can engage the people who visit, otherwise you just have people wandering around trying to pronounce Welsh names and struggling to see what the historical significance of the majority of the buildings is. That's another thing: the buildings were mostly empty. They were just like shells of the past, with the structure being the only connection. No indication as to what this room or that room was used for. Just emptiness and the scent of damp wood as you look around trying to imagine the history of the building you're in.
St Teilo's: the most interesting place at St. Fagan's












On a positive note, I made blueberry pancakes for myself this week and they were delicious!


Now I should probably get back to this sedentary essay, which is ironically, the reason I have developed a somewhat sedentary lifestyle for the past few days.





2 comments:

melanie said...

I'm guessing you/we are spoiled by the historical places in the good ole USA where you will be told everything about the place and the importance of it for our nation. Although when we were in Loundon the bus tours were very informative!I love reading your posts - good to see how others around the world live. Where are you going on Spring Break?

Kim and Eric came down/over last weekend - I enjoyed the visit -would have enjoyed it more if I had been well!!! Dang spring pollen!

Anonymous said...

Really blueberry pancakes?